gesturechange, and a few more. Basically touch start, move, and end mapped pretty close to mouse down, move, and up. I had to implement some hacky workarounds for figuring out the mouse position from touch events and properly handle multiple touches it they existed. Midway through the day I tried to make our scroll/zoom bars work with touch events but it turned out to be a giant worm hole and abandoned it after a few hours of trying in order to get more important features in. I was also able to implement a pinching gesture for resizing a trackevent. I went for the pinch instead of using our trackevent handles because I figured it would make the app feel more native on the iPad. By about 7pm I had all our touch events working ( at least the ones we were going to showcase in the presentation, by no means were they all implemented ).
One big blocker that we ran into was dragging and dropping new trackevents from the tray to the timeline. It's funny because we actually almost decided to run without the ability to create new ones for the presentation but decided to implement a hack to create a new one on click at the last minute. This meant that you didn't have to drag and drop to create the event, but could just click on its title and it would create an event at the videos currentTime with sane defaults. This wasn't a future proof solution but it at least made the app some what feature complete.
At about 11pm we had saving, exporting, and logging working and rounded off all of the sharp edges that we created in the process ( its FULL of bugs ). We made a bookmark to the iPads homescreen so it felt more like a native app and removed some of the browsers UI which was nice. In the end I am really proud of what Rob and I did in <24 hours, we worked great as a team as we each brought our own set of skills to the table and worked in parallel most of the day and a half. I remember hearing a while ago that a good group/team member is someone you agree with about 70% of the time and Rob seems to fall into that category. It's great to have someone there to tell you "Man that looks crappy" and be able to take what I've been working on and add some CSS polish to it. I think Rob and I make a great team and I'm looking forward to seeing what we can create.
Our presentation went pretty well and I think everyone liked seeing Popcorn Maker run on mobile devices, it's something that we've wanted for a while. After the presentation Rob and I did a bit more work and made trackevent resizing and dragging REALLY smooth by adding gpu acceleration ( Rob blogged about this ). We also added gpu acceleration to track movement as well, so dragging a trackevent outside of the current viewing area doesn't cause the screen to tear anymore.
Moving forward, Rob and I now have to go ahead and file some bugs about everything that we've noticed and get some feedback on ideas we have about how to restructure the UI. In the end I think this was a great experience and was a great break from the rush to get Popcorn Maker 0.5.1 and 0.5.2 out the door and ready for Mozilla's story camp.